Friday, March 12, 2010

I know it has been a few days since our last post! A lot has happened. First, we found out at our SDA appointment that Dylan was already being adopted by another family. This was a very weird fluke. It was no one's fault. He was adopted by a family in Ukraine and their process is different so our people didn't know. Everyone here has been extremely empathetic and helpful. We are very fortunate to have people care about us here! It is fine, we were sad for a short time, and then....they showed us a picture of a little girl with dwarfism who was available. We instantly fell in love. We said yes to the referral and had to travel 300 miles to her orphanage. Most people have to travel to adopt in Ukraine. It is a big country. Anyway, no more complaining to me about paying too many taxes in America. At least we have roads that aren't torn up. What was supposed to be a five hour car ride turned in to 11 hours!!! There were potholes so big in the road an entire cow could have fit into it!! Due to the extremely harsh winter, the roads have recently fallen into severe disrepair. Anyway, a flat tire and bent rim later, we arrived at our new apartment, had two hours of sleep, got our paperwork, and visited with our little girl. She is a doll!! Literally!! They told us she was extremely smart (which we observed). She is 5 1/2 and was absolutely thrilled to have a family. She already calls us Mama and Papa and looked at our photo album 8 times at least!! She is also very independent and doesn't want much help with things (just like me!) They told us she climbs up on things to get to stuff and sings and dances all the time. (She and her aunt Stephanie have lots in common) Anyway, we said yes to her and started our paperwork today to adopt her. We have one final hurdle, which is court. The judge could say no (probably not, but could) or we may have to wait a while for a date. There are six other couples in our area adopting also, so our facilitator said that may help with a sooner date. Anyway, her name will be Elizabeth (Lizzy) Jo (after my mom). She is a sweetie pie and loves books!! I think she will learn English quickly. She was repeating English words we said today. Paul and I are very excited and know that Elizabeth was placed in our hands this week. Thanks for all your support.

Love,
Candace and Paul

4 comments:

  1. WOW! YOu know we talked about how adoption has many ups and downs...SURPRISE! :) still praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Candace, we are so excited! This is such great news! I enjoy your posts so much, it is the favorite part of my day! (I call grandma and read them to her too.) As soon as the kids get home from school, the first thing they ask me is if you have posted anything new. Can't wait to see a pic of her. I love that she looked at the album so many times! She sounds like such a sweetheart! Hope she likes cars -haha! No, but really what fun you can have decorating her room and buying her cloths! My thoughts and prayers are with you constantly. Many, many blessings to you, Lizzy, and Paul. We love you all!
    Great-Auntie Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry that you won't be bringing Dylan home, but I'm so glad he is being adopted and it'll be nice for him to stay in his own country!

    Congratulations... IT'S A GIRL! I'm happy for you guys! Bringing home a beautiful girl!!! :D I can't wait to see pictures of Lizzy. Hopefully someone is girlying her room up for her before she comes home!
    Blessings!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel: Yes, adoption is full of surprises!! Our surprise has been the best thing that could have happened.
    Jill: Thank you! I am glad that everyone enjoys the blog. I can't wait for you to meet Lizzy. She is just like me when I was her age (uh oh)
    Sarah: Thank you. We are very glad he has a family and that our little girl fits perfectly with us. Yes, my sister is fixing up her room to make it more girly!! I have already picked out the new bed stuff. Keep in touch!
    Love,
    Candace

    ReplyDelete